Ways to Wellbeing
Connecting people to local community support to make them feel better
Ways to Wellbeing News:
Now that social prescribing has been established in primary care and continued delivery is in place with Primary Care Link Workers, Ways to Wellbeing is in its second phase. As these project areas are built upon, our information will be updated and shared with partners.
Currently due to COVID-19 the service is operating remotely and sessions are completed by telephone. In some instances door step or community face to face sessions may also be suitable and our approach will be flexible as guidance around COVID-19 changes.
What we do:
Ways to Wellbeing is an innovative social prescribing service that focuses on increasing access to social prescribing in York. We believe in the power of collaboration, relationship, and exploring what is meaningful to someone in finding their own Ways to Wellbeing. We don’t ask “what’s the matter with you”, we ask “what matters to you?”.
We support people we work with to find their own inner strength and skills to effect change.
We work with a wide variety of partners to:
- Identify gaps in need,
- Share knowledge, skills and resources
- Influence wellbeing culture on a local and national level
How it works:
- We base Ways to Wellbeing Practitioners in different services across York
- We get referrals from a variety of professionals and self referrals from people accessing those services
- We meet people at York CVS, in the community, or virtually, for a cuppa and a chat
- We find out what life is like, and what is important to them
- Then we come up with an idea together as to what might help
- We work with others in the Voluntary and Community Sector to make it real
- We experiment and try things out
- Then we chat about how it goes
Our areas of work:
Ways to Wellbeing Small Grants Fund
Funding for the small grants initiative comes from the Better Care Fund, a programme spanning NHS and local government which seeks to join-up health and social care services. The total small grants fund amounts to £20,000 and we will fund projects up to a maximum of £5,000 where there is substantial evidence to support this application. Applications for smaller amounts are also encouraged.
What is the purpose of the fund?
Ways to Wellbeing would like to invite partners to apply to this fund to continue to work together to increase opportunities to build strong support networks within the community. The aim of the fund is to contribute to the sustainability of projects that have a focus on social connectedness, reducing isolation and improving the physical and mental health of individuals. Partners need to focus on one or more of the below outcomes:
- Access to art and culture
- Employment, learning or volunteering
- Emotional wellbeing
- Physical activity
- Healthy lifestyles
- Reducing social Isolation
The fund is open to both existing and new ventures. We are particularly keen to support applications from organisations that are linked to the three new areas we are developing Social Prescribing in whether this is either by providing funds to sustain and expand projects or to increase accessibility and reach.
The fund is available to charities, social enterprises, voluntary and community groups.
How to apply
Meet our team:
Ways to Wellbeing Project Manager
Ways to Wellbeing Practitioner
Ways to Wellbeing Practitioner