Ways to Wellbeing
Connecting people to local community support to make them feel better
Now that social prescribing has been embedded in primary care, with Primary Care Link Workers, Ways to Wellbeing has moved to a second phase of delivery. We’re focusing on innovation and growing the reach of social prescribing in the city by embedding our practitioners in secondary services, where we’ve previously seen gaps in support. Get in touch to find out more.
What we do:
Ways to Wellbeing is an innovative social prescribing service that focuses on increasing access to social prescribing in York. We believe in the power of collaboration, relationship, and exploring what is meaningful to someone in finding their own Ways to Wellbeing. We don’t ask “what’s the matter with you”, we ask “what matters to you?”.
We support people we work with to find their own inner strength and skills to effect change.
We work with a wide variety of partners to:
- Identify gaps in need,
- Share knowledge, skills and resources
- Influence wellbeing culture on a local and national level.
How it works:
- We base Social Prescribers in different services across York
- We get referrals from a variety of professionals and self referrals from people accessing those services
- We meet people at York CVS, in the community, or virtually, for a cuppa and a chat
- We find out what life is like, and what is important to them
- Then we come up with an idea together as to what might help
- We work with others in the Voluntary and Community Sector to make it a reality
- We experiment and try things out
- Then we chat about how it goes.
Our areas of work:
Our aim is to help people with their recovery and explore ways for them to lead fulfilling and healthy lives. Through our social prescribing interventions we strive to help prevent unnecessary social admissions to Hospital. We aim to help empower people to achieve their personal wellbeing goals, tackling social isolation and connecting them to their communities to help improve their health and wellbeing.
Here are two of our Ways to Wellbeing Social Prescribers, Liz and Vicki who explain more about their role.
Our aim to provide highly bespoke and 1-2-1 care which is tailored to meet individual needs. Through our social prescribing, which is a collaborative intervention, we aim to address mental health in a holistic manner – this places the person at the centre in order to empower wellbeing. Our team can help with reducing social isolation, building self-esteem, fostering links with the voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) sector, creating community pathways, and identifying hobbies/passions and sport which are vital for improving health and wellbeing.
“I have felt ‘safe and secure’ following discharge and more confident and motivated in engaging in social activities.”
Meet our team:
Ways to Wellbeing Project Lead
Project Support Officer - Ways to Wellbeing
P2R Social Prescriber