Organisation Name: Castle Howard
Arts / Culture / Heritage / Museums
Type of Voluntary Activity:
Greeter / Welcomer
Location of Voluntary Activity:
Could you help us to preserve this extraordinary family home as a national treasure for future generations? We are looking for volunteer Room Stewards to share the stories of Castle Howard’s rich history and bring to life our amazing collections, to help our visitors enjoy their time in this special place.
Volunteering in the house as a Room Steward, every day is different and you will be:
• Giving a warm and friendly welcome to our visitors.
• Helping visitors make the most out of their day, whether that be responding to enquiries, providing essential information like directions, or recommending events, activities and other ways for people to get involved with Castle Howard.
• Sharing stories about the history of the house, family and collection, giving visitors a sense that they’ve really got to know about the place.
• Looking after the house and its contents by making sure everyone is safe and the site is secure. This might involve managing the flow of visitors on the house tour; looking after the room and its contents and assisting with the evacuation of visitors in case of an emergency.
Skills and behaviours needed for the role:
You don’t need any specific experience or knowledge for this role. You will enjoy the role if:
• You’re a people person, who enjoys talking with a wide range of visitors;
• You have an interest in cultural heritage and history;
• You want to contribute your time and enthusiasm by helping visitors enjoy their day and taking care of the house and collections.
Will there be a DBS check? Yes
Driving Licence required? No
Volunteer's own vehicle required? No
What will the volunteer gain/benefit from:
As a Castle Howard volunteer, you’ll be part of our friendly and supportive team, volunteering alongside our passionate and knowledgeable employees. You’ll have a chance to get to know our historic buildings and stunning landscapes from behind the scenes, learn new skills and meet new people.
When are volunteers needed: We have opportunities throughout the week, including weekends. On weekdays, shifts for Room Stewards are between 10am and 2pm and at weekends they are 10am - 1.30pm and 1.30pm – 5.00pm. On weekends, you can choose whether to come for a half or full day.
How to get involved:
To find out more about the role and how to apply, visit https://www.castlehoward.co.uk/get-involved/volunteer and complete the Registration Form.
Web link: Click here
Closing date: 31-07-2021