Organisation Name: Age UK York
Location of Voluntary Activity:
To provide respite for carers by supporting an older person in their own home, or by accompanying them on an outing.
Tasks and activities
• Visit an older person in their home.
• Support the older person with physical and/or mental health conditions (the majority of our service
users have a diagnosis of dementia).
• Accompany on an outing either going for a short walk or trip
• Work towards establishing a beneficial and supportive relationship.
• Assist with simple practical tasks e.g. preparing drinks/snacks, partaking in craft activities.
• Discuss the visits with the service organiser on a regular basis, including health and safety issues and
changes in the client’s needs.
• Try to attend at least one volunteer meeting per year.
• Attend any mandatory training sessions.
Skills and behaviours needed for the role:
Carer respite volunteers demonstrate good listening and communication skills, with an ability to quickly develop relationships with the carer and the cared for older person. Volunteers understand the needs of older people and empathise with them. Some experience of working with older people who have a diagnosis of dementia is useful and we do offer and encourage further training in dementia awareness. Reliability is key. Volunteers must be willing to work within guidelines and always follow confidentiality policies
Will there be a DBS check? Yes
Driving Licence required? No
Volunteer's own vehicle required? No
What will the volunteer gain/benefit from:
As an Age UK York Volunteer, you will have the opportunity to: • Support carers and cared for older people in the City of York. • Be part of a friendly team and supported in your role. • Access training development, as appropriate
When are volunteers needed: Ongoing.
How to get involved:
Please complete an application form, available on our website. Alternatively, please telephone our office, on 01904 707089.
Web link: Click here
Closing date: 01-09-2021