This is the fifteenth year of the York 50+ Festival, a grassroots citywide event that brings thousands of older people together with younger people to experience new activities and enjoy old ones. It is part of the national celebration around 1 October, the International Day of Older People. Events are run by local groups, mostly free or charging just enough to cover costs. We’ve had up to 150 events listed in the 3,500 copies of our festival programme which goes on the streets and into libraries and community centres in early September. Because they contain contact names and numbers of such a variety of events, individuals and organisations, they are kept for reference throughout the year so that anyone can join a group at any time.
We are looking for committed people to be responsible for the following:-
- Publicity. Starting from the launch after Easter; then inviting the participation of schools and youth groups, faith groups, businesses, etc; warning of the programme deadline in mid-July; in early September giving an overview of all the events in the programme and highlighting the York 50+ Information Fairs in mid-September; last publicity before the Festival starts and a celebratory press release when it ends. Around 8 – 10 total. We have a comprehensive list of contacts, press & media across the county.
- Coordinator. Deal with emails and redirect or answer as necessary. To arrange meetings and make sure everyone keeps in touch, especially between the Festival Team and the YOPA Office and Treasurer. Make sure all gaps are filled!
- Fundraiser. Getting in enough sponsorship and advertisements to cover the cost of printing the programme. Liaising with the programme editor, and liasing with the YOPA Office & Treasurer to make sure all the money comes in. We have regular sponsors who cover around 1/3 of the cost (total to be raised £2,500)
- Phoning. Two phases a) Late June, phoning round all our past and potential event organisers to make sure they get their event forms in by the deadline of mid-July b) After the Festival ends in early October, phoning all the organisers who took part to make sure they give feedback on numbers and success (or not) of their event. Vital to the ongoing support and team spirit of our festival!
- Distribution. Our 3,5000 programmes need to go out to libraries, community centres and city centre venues (we have a list of interested organisations and businesses). Car, bike, on foot with a luggage trolley… We need someone to organise the distribution in the city centre and surrounding villages.
If you want to make sure the York 50+ Festival continues to bring enjoyment and companionship to thousands of older people each year, please get in touch with the 50+ Festival Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or Trisha at the YOPA Office on Monday and Thursday mornings on 01904 202293.