York CVS is a social action organisation; supporting and championing York’s voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) sector to make positive change, challenge issues and grow new ideas for the future in order to strengthen communities.
We do this by:
- Supporting new and existing VCSE groups and organisations with guidance about legal structures, governance issues, policies and procedures and by identifying potential funding sources and developing funding bids;
- Bringing organisations together to discuss and challenge local issues through our events and voluntary sector forums;
- Representing the sector at strategic board level;
- Championing the sector by promoting what they do best – making a difference for individuals and their communities.
We have a simple framework for our work:
- Support the sector to survive and thrive
- Represent the sector and provide a voice
- Sustain our organisational strength
- Deliver services with a social impact
- Empowerment: we believe that people are best placed to positively influence the decisions which affect their own lives and the communities in which they live.
- Learning: we believe all people are capable of growing, learning and developing throughout their lives.
- Working together: we believe that people working together have greater potential to achieve their goals.
- Diversity: we believe that our society is enriched by diversity.
- Sustainability: we believe in living well today without compromising the ability of future generations to do the same.
- Interdependence: we believe in the interdependence of voluntary and community organisations.