We do this by:
- Supporting new and existing VCSE groups and organisations with guidance about legal structures, governance issues, policies and procedures and by identifying potential funding sources and developing funding bids;
- Bringing organisations together to discuss and challenge local issues through our events and voluntary sector forums;
- Representing the sector at strategic board level;
- Championing the sector by promoting what they do best – making a difference for individuals and their communities.
We have a simple framework for our work:
- Support the sector to survive and thrive
- Represent the sector and provide a voice
- Sustain our organisational strength
- Deliver services with a social impact
- Empowerment: we believe that people are best placed to positively influence the decisions which affect their own lives and the communities in which they live.
- Learning: we believe all people are capable of growing, learning and developing throughout their lives.
- Working together: we believe that people working together have greater potential to achieve their goals.
- Diversity: we believe that our society is enriched by diversity.
- Sustainability: we believe in living well today without compromising the ability of future generations to do the same.
- Interdependence: we believe in the interdependence of voluntary and community organisations.
How we are run
York CVS is a Company Limited by Guarantee, Registered in England (no. 493550) which reports annually to Companies House. The Company Secretary role is currently undertaken by the Chief Executive. York CVS is also a Registered Charity (no. 225087) which must report annually to the Charity Commission.
York CVS is governed by an unpaid Board of Charity Trustees, who are also Company Directors. They are drawn from our membership or co-opted for their specific skills or experience. The Board of Trustees governs the organisation in accordance with our governing document, the York CVS Articles of Association.